Connect with us

News

After Nearly Two Decades In Detention The Biden Administration Releases The First Detainee From Guantanamo

Joe Biden’s government has transported its first inmate from Guantanamo Bay, where a guy who had never been charged with a crime had been held for nearly two decades and had been referred for release in 2016, but stayed there during Donald Trump’s administration.
The release of Abdul Latif Nassar, who was imprisoned at the facility during the conflict in 2002, could signal the administration’s intent to close it down completely.
According to a statement from the US Department of Defense, Mr Nassar would be repatriated to his native Morocco “subject to security and humane treatment assurances.”
According to the Pentagon, in 2016, an inter-agency panel found that his imprisonment “no longer remained required to protect against a continuing serious danger to US national security.”
The Pentagon remarked, “The United States commends the Kingdom of Morocco for its long-standing partnership in defending both countries’ national security objectives.”
“The United States is particularly appreciative for the Kingdom’s commitment to assist ongoing US efforts to dismantle the Guantanamo Bay Detention Center,” Mr. Trump said in 2018, after partially reversing an move by Barack Obama to begin closing its operations, which Mr. Obama signed on his second day in office.
Earlier this year, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters that the National Security Council was in talks with the administration to close the prison altogether by the conclusion of Mr Biden’s first term in office in 2024.
The government is “committed to following a methodical and thorough approach focused on appropriately reducing the detainee population of the Guantanamo facility while also ensuring the security of the United States and its allies,” according to US State Department Spokesman Ned Price.
The facility, originally opened under George W Bush in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, has been extensively chastised for allegedly denying detainees under extrajudicial detention due process while they are subjected to human rights violations.
Before being sent to Guantanamo Bay in May 2002, Mr Nassar was imprisoned in Afghanistan for several months.
During a year-long investigation, a six-part Radiolab series demonstrated that most of the government’s charges against him lacked meaningful evidence to support his arrest.
During his imprisonment, his lawyer told the inter-agency Periodic Review Board in 2016 that he had “not made any derogatory statements or showed any ill will towards the United States, nor displayed any evidence of an interest in extremist activity,” and that he “truly regrets his prior conduct.”
The prison will continue to imprison 39 inmates, 11 of whom are accused with war crimes, following Mr Nassar’s transfer.
At its peak following 9/11, the prison housed roughly 700 men.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Must See

More in News